For More Information:
Palo Alto Director:
Karen Friedland-Brown, MA
San Mateo Director:
Stephanie Barry Agnew, BA
Parent Consultation and Coaching
From everyday issues that many families face to challenges requiring specialized clinical assessment, Parents Place has the resources available to help your family.
Whether you come in for a Parent Consultation or Parent Coaching session just once or several times, our promise is that at the end of each visit, you will have useful information and strategies that are immediately helpful in addressing your main concerns. We offer you a roadmap so you can choose the path that is right for you and your family.
Just a few examples of challenges that are addressed successfully through Parent Consultations are below:
- My child never sleeps through the night. Do I need to wait for him to get older, or is there something I can do now?
- My child hits, bites, and has tantrums and may soon be expelled from her preschool.
- My child avoids eye contact. Could he be showing signs of autism?
- My child has no friends. Is a social skills group appropriate?
- My child has been diagnosed with ADHD by his teacher. What do I do next?
- I am told that my child has sensory issues and poor impulse control. What should I do? Would an occupational therapist be helpful?
- My 10-year-old is very anxious and refuses to go to school. Should I push her to attend, or will this make matters worse?
- My teen daughter is very smart, but is suddenly receiving failing grades in school. Could this be a sign of bullying?
Parent Consultation sessions are conducted by a range of specialists, from parent educators to psychologists, education specialists, and other professionals. Sessions can take place at Parents Place, your home, school, or other appropriate community setting. Please call 650-688-3046 to make an appointment.
"You listened to our history, asked questions to get a sense of our parenting style and family dynamics, and then proceeded to make the best recommendation we ever heard. Thank you for helping see our potential as parents. It will make a difference for our three sons."
Parent Coaching is a unique partnership designed to support parents in their parenthood journey. Many parents feel overwhelmed and frustrated with the daily challenges of raising a child. Our coaches help you identify your parenting goals; they respect your values and honor your parenting style, while helping address areas of desired change.
Parent coaching helps you to:
- Honor your child’s natural talents and gifts.
- Create a positive and empowering relationship with your child.
- Deepen your understanding of your child’s special needs and challenges.
- Focus on the positive characteristics and support your child to turn his/her challenges into strengths.
- Learn how to identify your child’s learning style and use it to support daily demands.
- Explore ways to develop a supportive and nurturing environment in school and at home.
- Find out how to advocate for your child in the school system and how to navigate additional support services.
- Achieve personal growth and fulfillment as a parent, take care of yourself, and enjoy your family.
Older children and teenagers are invited to take an active part in the coaching partnership and will have the opportunity to learn effective strategies, to focus on their abilities rather than their disabilities, and to advocate for their unique needs. Young children will usually not take part in the actual coaching session, but you will learn coaching skills that you can practice with your child.
If you are interested in this service, please call 650-688-3046 to make an appointment.